Monday, April 28, 2008

Referral for Profit Action

Hey DPT Bloggers, referral for profit is under fire in Missouri. We have a unique provision in the Physician's practice act that prevents doctors from referring patients for physical therapy and earning a profit off of it. As you can appreciate, that is bad for physical therapy as we lose the objectiveness of the referral and the true need for services. It seems that HB 2068 up in Jefferson City was passed by the House as a measure to clean up the current PT practice act, however, when it went to conference committee to work on language between the House and Senate, some Senators tried to amend the bill and add language that would allow physical therapists to work for physicians and thus generate revenue and profit for the referring doctors. This is unacceptable for the future of the profession and is a step backwards for us as professionals. I called my Senator and my Representative and emailed a few other contacts I have on Capitol Hill to do my part as a professional to save the profession, or at least how the profession operates in Missouri. I hope you do the same!

Together with you in His Service,

slesh

No comments: